Moms Run the Show on Mother's Day
Sunday, May 12, promises to be a high-grossing day for restaurants, as families across the country take mom out to eat for Mother’s Day. According to Caroline Potter, Chief Dining Officer of OpenTable.com, “Mother’s Day has always been one of the biggest dining holidays of the year—and with good reason. Being a mother is one of the most important jobs in the world.” In a recent survey, OpenTable gathered data that can help operators capitalize on this national celebration.
- 65% of moms plan to book their own restaurant reservations
- 24% plan to dine out for more than one meal, with 1 in 5 moms planning to spend more than they did last year
- 58% of the respondents said brunch was unquestionably a part of their Mother’s Day plans, with 39% opting for an evening meal
- 81% revealed that they would be enjoying at least one alcoholic beverage
- 51% said that a child-friendly environment was not important, as they would be dining without their children.
- As far as gifts go, 21% appreciate flowers, 12% prefer jewelry and 11% are hoping for a new iPad.
Source: OpenTable Moms Take Charge of Mother’s Day, April 2012